Our favourite day of February is almost upon us, and Damian is here to help us pull out all the stops with his perfect pancake recipe.
Forget lemon and sugar – his salted maple vanilla butter with pecans, pistachios, and apples is a deliciously decadent way to add a little sweetness to your pancakes this Shrove Tuesday.
Pancakes with salted maple vanilla butter, pecans, pistachios, and apples
For the pancakes
- 300g self-raising flour
- 6g baking powder
- 180g milk
- 15g melted butter warm
- 60g natural yoghurt
- 10g unrefined caster sugar
- A pinch of salt
For the salted maple vanilla butter
- 100g diced red apple
- 75g maple syrup
- 25g butter diced
- 3g sea salt
- 1/2 vanilla pod (deseeded)
- 15g roasted pecans
- 5g toasted pistachios
- 50g whipped cream
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl. In a separate bowl or jug, combine the wet ingredients.
- Combine both mixtures, taking care not to overwork, before setting aside for half an hour to rest.
- Warm a non-stick frying pan and add a knob of butter. Once hot, cook the pancakes in small batches until they are light, golden brown and fluffy.
- Wipe the pan free of the cooking butter, and put the pancakes in the oven to keep warm before moving onto the sauce.
- Sauté the apples in the pancake pan until they have coloured slightly and softened.
- Add the maple syrup and take off the heat. The heat in the pan will reduce the maple syrup slightly.
- Add the diced butter and whisk until emulsified. Finish by adding the salt and vanilla seeds.
- Place the pancakes on a warm plate. Scatter the apples, pecans, and pistachios around, and spoon over the maple butter. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.
Don’t forget to share your creations with us on social media by tagging @seahamhall!