If you’re going meat-free for January, or simply want to treat your body to some immune-boosting goodness, our Head Chef Damian’s roasted broccoli salad is big on taste and packed full of healthy ingredients.
Salad of roasted and shaved broccoli with kale, pumpkin seed pesto, and blood oranges
- 1kg broccoli
- 50g kale with the stalks removed
- 50g pumpkin seeds
- 100ml cold-pressed rapeseed oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp miso paste
- 2 blood oranges
- 6 macadamia nuts
- Sea salt
- Trim the broccoli into equal-sized florets (around the size of a 50p) keeping the main stalk intact as much as possible.
- Heat a frying pan until it’s very hot. Toss the broccoli florets in 20g cold-pressed rapeseed oil and sea salt before throwing into the pan. Leave the broccoli undisturbed in the pan until the first side is scorched, then place in a bowl to cool.
- Peel the broccoli stalk until the white part is visible and cut very thinly or ideally shave in a mandolin.
- Cook the kale in salted boiled water for 5 minutes before draining. Once cooled, squeeze dry in a tea towel.
- Toast the pumpkin seeds until they have coloured slightly and place them in a blender, along with the garlic and kale, and blend until you have a coarse paste. Slowly add the oil and miso paste until you have a smooth, textured sauce.
- Zest the orange directly onto the shaved broccoli stalk. Peel then segment the blood orange and put into the same bowl as the shaved stalk. Squeeze the orange carcass over the broccoli florets before combining them with the shaved stalk.
- Spread your pesto all over a plate and pile the broccoli florets and shaved stalk on top along with the blood oranges.
- Finish with grated macadamia nuts.